Tips: Shopping at IKEA


IKEA, I love that store. Most of the things in my home come from IKEA. I’m lucky to be very near the Montreal store and have the Boucherville one not too far too. Over the years, I have collected some tips about shopping there.


Plan your visit

If I’m going to IKEA for a precise item, I check on the website if it’s in store. Also if it’s something from the self-service, I will check out its location so I don't need to go to the showroom.

Check the measurements

It’s important to check if the item will fit in the space you have available, but it’s also important to check if the package in itself will fit in your vehicle (or in the stairs or doorway). It’s also useful to know the weight of the package before hand.

Maps & Shortcuts

They are very helpful, take advantage of them to go to the section of the store you want. If you just need to go to the self-service, go trough the exit.

Sign up for IKEA family

It’s free and can give you rebate on items and other perks. One of them is the sell-back program. You can submit an application to sell your used IKEA items back to the store for an in-store credit.

Check the As-Is section

You can find some gems in there, specially if you want to modify or DIY things.

End of June and early July is hell

I’m speaking for Quebec, I don’t know for other province. Here most people move July first so around this time, IKEA is very busy. I try to avoid it.

Go there early

Take advantage of the cheap breakfast to got to the store in the morning. The restaurant opens before the store so it gives you time to eat and than shop.

Comments